BloodtoBaby Privacy Policy

• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
Sep 21, 2018

Babysaver 2018

9 comments

Edited: Sep 24, 2018

Facts about Babysaver

The BabySaver is a portable, low-cost, newborn resuscitation device, designed to be used at the bedside. 

It has been created by a team of maternity and neonatal experts led by Professor Andrew Weeks, a consultant obstetrician from Liverpool Women’s Hospital, and James Ditai of the Sanyu Africa Research Institute (SAfRI), Uganda, and has the backing of the Ministry of Health there. It was designed with Peter Watt, engineer at Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust and prototypes were manufactured at Bryn Y Neuadd Hospital, Gwynedd, Wales. 

It is designed to reduce the large number of babies who die shortly after birth in developing countries due to a lack of vital life-saving equipment, and works by allowing mother and baby to stay together during the resuscitation process, keeping the umbilical cord intact and preventing distress caused by separation. 

It is lightweight and cheap to produce (approx. £40), meaning it is much more accessible than traditional resuscitation units, which could cost up to $15,000. 

How you can help spread the word

The UK media launch of Babysaver took place on Wednesday 12 September 2018 and they've asked us (our community) to help spread the word on social media or place information on your organisation’s website.

The BabySaver Twitter handle is @TheBabySaver and we will be using the hashtag #babysaver.

The well regarded retired obstetrician David Hutchon had this to say:

"If BabySaver catches the imagination of some people and this is converted into enthusiasm for avoiding early cord clamping and support for motherside resuscitation with cord intact it will be great! And achieve something we have really failed to do so far."

Stopping early cord clamping and providing ventilation of the neonate at the side of the mother with an intact cord will save babies. It is a bold title to call it BabySaver UK, especially since very few units here in the UK provide any sort of motherside resuscitation! Lets get all babies being provided with motherside resuscitation and ventilation when lack of breathing is a problem. 

What are your thoughts?

Oct 8, 2018Edited: Oct 8, 2018

Where can we purchase a Baby Saver unit for our newly opened low risk birthing center? Although it will likely be used infrequently for transition/resuscitation it will be used frequently in our promotions for OCC, where we would like to refer to its use in our guidelines, which are required to be on public display on our website.

Oct 10, 2018

Hello, I have spoken to @aweeks (Andrew Weeks) who was involved with the development of both the Babysaver and the earlier Basics Trolley. He said they are being 'tested' right now - so not yet available for sale, but the team are working on making them available in Europe - hopefully soon.

Oct 8, 2018

Hello Jacqueline, thanks for your post. Sounds like an amazing plan! [@aweeks] will be able to help with this I’m sure. I’ll let him know. Please do share your initiative/guidelines in the forum area too as it’s really useful for others to see/read about how to put the evidence into practice. Thanks

Oct 8, 2018Edited: Oct 8, 2018

I'll be sure to post in the forum once we have the unit, so as to better exemplify its use in our guidelines as well as (and mainly) in the promotion of OCC. Thank you for this forum. It is such a great ressource to refer to

Oct 9, 2018

I was setting up the room for an impending birth on the birth centre the other month. I had hidden under a towel my make shift resuscitaire and it really made me think 'why on earth am I setting this up on a high up changing table'!! This was all whilst the babysaver tray was in the media and I thought to myself that if we were to have these in the UK on birth centres perhaps it would help facilitate OCC during resus. If I was going to be staying working on the birth center (only there for a one off shift) I would definitely be championing changing the way we go about setting up our rooms. (you'll be pleased to know I didn't need my make shift resus that day)

Oct 10, 2018

I am pleased to hear you didn't need it :-) Its difficult isn't it, because whilst midwives have the knowledge and autonomy to set these makeshift resuscitates up at homebirths, we feel disempowered to do so in a hospital setting, despite knowing the benefits. Whilst I 100% respect the need for hospital policies and guidelines I am also frustrated by the lack of innovation and ability to 'move inline with the evidence' within the NHS. This is why I feel that the very inexpensive Babysaver will help to change this practice - firstly within the birth centres and then motivating obstetric units to do the same with the Lifestart. Fingers crossed.

I can't wait for this to be available for sale in the USA! I work in a Birth Center and it would be so perfect! I will share and spread the word. Keep up the great work!

Finding the best writing service in the market can be easily resolved with writ my paper. They provide with one of a kind service that you just can’t compromise along with.

The forum of the design and tactic is launched for the approval of the terms for the audience of the parties. All the challenges of the https://essay-reviewer.com/college-paper-org-review/ are visited for the uploading of the relevant information. Its impact is run for the inconsistent elements for the passages for the town. Its image is followed for the flow of the reforms or the sanity of the blogs for the partners in the middle of the offers for the citizens.

• https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/148793/9789241508209_eng.pdf?sequence=1 "For basic newborn resuscitation, if there is experience in providing effective positive-pressure ventilation without cutting the umbilical cord, ventilation can be initiated before cutting the cord."
  • Ronny Knol, Emma Brouwer, Frans J. C. M. Klumper, Thomas van den Akker, Philip DeKoninck, G. J. Hutten, Enrico Lopriore, Anton H. van Kaam, Graeme R. Polglase, Irwin K. M. Reiss, Stuart B. Hooper and Arjan B. te Pas Link to open access research: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2019.00134/full Most preterm infants fail to aerate their immature lungs at birth and need respiratory support for cardiopulmonary stabilization. Cord clamping before lung aeration compromises cardiovascular function. Delaying cord clamping until the lung has aerated may be beneficial for preterm infants by optimizing hemodynamic transition and placental transfusion. A new purpose-built resuscitation table (the Concord) has been designed making it possible to keep the cord intact after preterm birth until the lung is aerated and the infant is respiratory stable and breathing [Physiological-Based Cord Clamping (PBCC)]. The aim of this study is to test the hypothesis whether stabilizing preterm infants by PBCC is at least as effective as the standard approach using time-based Delayed Cord Clamping (DCC).
  • Sharing link to ongoing research https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9067/6/4/60 Premature and full-term infants are at high risk of morbidities such as intraventricular hemorrhage or hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. The sickest infants at birth are the most likely to die and or develop intraventricular hemorrhage. Delayed cord clamping has been shown to reduce these morbidities, but is currently not provided to those infants that need immediate resuscitation. This review will discuss recently published and ongoing or planned clinical trials involving neonatal resuscitation while the newborn is still attached to the umbilical cord. We will discuss the implications on neonatal management and delivery room care should this method become standard practice. We will review previous and ongoing trials that provided respiratory support compared to no support. Lastly, we will discuss the implications of implementing routine resuscitation support outside of a research setting